Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Bombonera Here I Come!


Last night we booked our
apartment in Buenos Aires for our upcoming Argentina/Uruguay trip. Apart from steaks, nice weather, and cheap consumer goods, I'm most looking forward to catching some live futbol games in Buenos Aires. Ideally, we will be able to see a Boca Juniors home game at the legendary Bombonera but so far I've had little luck finding a reliable schedule of games on the team's Web site. Maybe I'll try River Plate or Independiente...

Speaking of the Boca Web site, there's a really cool page with loads of audio and video files including a clip of Juan Roman Riquelme scoring a game-winning penalty against River in the Copa Libertadores. I don't think I've ever seen Riquelme so excited. I don't think I've seen him so much as crack a smile since I've been watching him playing for Barça or Villareal. The dour one announced this week that he was retiring from the Argentine national team. Sad for fans, that is unless you're merely a fan of the Yellow Submarines, who are languishing in La Liga with only a point from three games.

No comments: